1.09.2012

Bazaar and sshfs and stack traces. Oh my!

I'm a big fan of revision control, although I don't use it as much as I should.  Typically, I only use it on big projects because the small projects usually don't need it.  I've been working on a custom integrated search engine recently, and I decided that the project had gotten big enough to require revision control.  Unfortunately, there's no standardized revision control system at work, so each programmer uses his favorite program to handle source code revisioning.

This time, I decided to try Bazaar.  I started with this article on my folder on the server and, when I tried to do my first commit, as might be expected when programming, it spit out a nice stack trace.  I changed protocols to ssh (from cifs), and there was no change.  After some poking around on the internet, I discovered I needed to enable a workaround regarding renaming.  When you mount the remote file system, the command needs to look something like this (notice the part in bold):

sshfs user_name@server:/remote_path /local_path -o idmap=user,uid=user_id,gid=group_id,workaround=rename

If you're using Bazaar over some remote link and you keep having problems that sound similar to mine, mounting the file system in this way really shouldn't hurt anything, so it's worth a try.

I sincerely hope that this helps somebody.

No comments:

Post a Comment