8.13.2010

Mac4Lin Success Story

I've made my Ubuntu GNOME look as close as I'm comfortable to an OS X look.

In this screenshot, you see three non-standard programs:
1) Mac4Lin
2) Gnome-globalmenu
3) Docky

Mac4Lin is a project that aims to make icons and textures to make any GNOME look like OS X.  It's easy to install.  Just run the install script from the latest version of the compressed file.  Even though the installer recommends answering "n" to the two questions, I said "y" and it seems to work better.

Next, I installed Docky from Synaptic.  Docky is, by far, the best dock program I've seen yet.  It's nice, smooth, and stable without being overly complex and cumbersome, like Cairo.  I have mine in "Panel Mode" so it stretches out over the whole bottom of the screen.

Finally, I installed gnome-globalmenu.  Yes, it takes a little bit to get used to, but it frees up space in each window.  Unfortunately, Firefox and all it's little derivatives, such as Songbird, don't work yet.  It's got something to do with Firefox not conforming to GNOME standards.

I'm also using Compiz.  People tend to say "Mac is so pretty!"  I disagree after seeing what Compiz can do!  Eat your heart out, Mr. Jobs!

No comments:

Post a Comment