8.30.2010

Samsung Captivate (A Galaxy S phone)

I finally got a cell phone.  A very nice cell phone.  Probably one of the highest-end phones sold.  It's the Samsung Captivate.  I'll post a more full review when I can.  Maybe even a few pictures or a video.

When you first pick up this phone, you notice several things.  First, it's got a massive screen.  It's a 4" SuperAMOLED screen.  And black really is black, not dark gray.  It's really a beautiful screen.  Some other reviews say it looks a bit over-saturated, but I think that the intense colors are on purpose and look excellent.

The next thing you notice is how small and light it is.  It's slightly less than 1/2" thick and weighs no more than an average cell phone.  There are only 3 physical buttons on this phone: power, volume up, and volume down.  However, there are also 4 capacitive buttons at the bottom: menu, home, back, and search.  On the top, there's a 3.5mm jack for headphones/headsets and a slidey door that covers a microUSB port for charging and data transfer.

The call quality is as good as can be expected.  It's much better than free phone call quality, but it's still not flawless beautiful audio.  In any case, I'm not going to complain about it.

Finally, there's Swype.  Swype is a keyboard where you just slide your finger over the letters in a word, and Swype tries to figure out what you intended to write.  It's very fast and surprising accurate.

Yes, I rooted it.  If for nothing else, I did it just to show iPhone users how it's done... in terminal!  I'm a linux user, so it's nice to have access to a terminal to do whatever you want.

The 3D graphics benchmarks from this phone are better than any other phone out there.  I just can't wait until the Android 2.2 update comes out so I can show even the Droid X users what "fast" means.

No comments:

Post a Comment